SUNY Plattsburgh continued with strong showing in national rankings published in 2017, with appearances on lists covering qualities from value to academic success, among others.
This fall, SUNY Plattsburgh was once again named one of “America’s Best Colleges — Regional Universities North” by U.S. News & World Report, moving up a notch to the No. 71 spot of all northern regional universities.
The perennial ranking by the media company that also scrutinizes graduate schools and hospitals is based on opinions of administrators at peer institutions, student retention data, faculty resources, admissions selectivity, financial resources and alumni giving.
“We are pleased to be recognized as a college where students benefit from first-class higher education at a reasonable price,” said President John Ettling. “It is gratifying to learn that we continue to enjoy this distinction.”
Kiplinger’s Personal Finance has also listed SUNY Plattsburgh among best values for public colleges and universities. The college placed 97th in best public college rankings and 247th of all colleges ranked by the finance publication.
These mentions join the list from those national publications and services that have reviewed SUNY Plattsburgh favorably for reasons such as affordability, environmental mindfulness, academics, scholarship for creative arts, and programs for veterans.
In addition to the U.S. News & World Report, SUNY Plattsburgh has recently received favorable reviews from:
- ValueColleges rated SUNY Plattsburgh fourth out of 50 colleges for affordability, academics, employment after graduation, and location
- Great College Deals named SUNY Plattsburgh as one of its “20 Best Deals: Small Colleges for Environmentally Minded”
- Money Magazine, which ranked the college 380 out of 705 overall for best educational quality, affordability and alumni success
- Washington Monthly, ranking SUNY Plattsburgh 137 out of 386 in the Northeast
- BestColleges.com rated SUNY Plattsburgh 34th out of 50 top small-town colleges nationwide; 9th out of 25 best online colleges in New York; and 25th for best bricks-and-mortar college in New York
- Lendedu, which ranked SUNY Plattsburgh No. 90 out of 419 colleges for financial support given to students studying creative arts
- Ranked 5th in the “Top 20 Deals on Small Colleges in New York” by Great College Deals
- Military Times, which ranked SUNY Plattsburgh 118th on its “Best for Vets: Colleges 2017” listing.
- Victory Media, which listed SUNY Plattsburgh among its 2017 Military Friendly Schools, which recognizes colleges with leading programs for veterans, members of the Armed Forces leaving military service and military spouses.
“The U.S. News & World Report rankings are a testament to the excellent programs and services provided by faculty and staff across SUNY and a reminder to our current and future students that SUNY Is dedicated to providing them with a highly valuable degree that will serve them well long after graduation,” said SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher. “Congratulations to SUNY Plattsburgh and this much-deserved recognition as well as those from other organizations and media outlets.”